Thursday, March 5, 2009

Nothing Can Get Me Down!

I had the BEST day today! It was just good all the way around so I have to talk about it. So first I got to work and our 3-Day team got an unexpected donation for our first fundraiser from the Atlanta Braves! We requested a signed piece of memorabilia (shirt, ball, bat, etc.) but hadn’t heard anything. Our team captain got a baseball signed by Yunel Escobar. Awesome! Another prize for our raffle!

Then I had a dentist visit. Believe it or not, I was excited to go today. Last fall they discovered I had the beginnings of periodontal disease, gingivitis. I had to use antimicrobial mouthwash, buy a Rotadent (not cheap!) and start flossing. I also have to go to the dentist every three months for a check-up. The first time I went back I had no improvement, and to be honest I knew I wasn’t doing everything I should have on a consistent basis. After my surgery in December I got serious and started using my Rotadent every night and morning, using my prescription flouride toothpaste every night and flossing at least once a day. It finally became a habit. And I knew that I would get a good report today. And I did!!! I had 13 pockets of infection in late November that measured a “4,” meaning my gums were infected and unhealthy. Today I only had four pockets that measured a “4!” All the bleeding had stopped which means no more infection at all! The hygenist and the dentist were thrilled! As was I! This time I don’t have to go back for four months. Plus, the hygentist hooked me up with a free Rotadent head and a gum stimulator in addition to all the other goodies (toothbrush, Listerine, floss).

The day continued to be good when I got back to work. The $100 that my brother/sister-in-law donated to my 3-Day fund hit the web site which means I only need $150 to reach my $2300 minimum goal to be able to walk! Amazing…I am so thrilled with the generousity people have shown. It has truly restored my faith in the goodness of people’s hearts.

So what else could happen to make it a good day? I left work and got side-swiped by a car not 2 minutes after I drove out of the parking lot! I pulled over (the car was right behind me after it happened), but the driver went right on by! Are you kidding me? I sat there, jaw hanging open, just flabberghasted. Then I came to my senses and went after him! Yes, I chased him! He totally knew what he did and raced off, obviously thinking I would not give come after him. I did. His mistake was turning at the first red light. This enabled me to quickly catch up with him at the next light which was red…totally got his license plate number (GA AFE 1825). I then proceeded to call 911 and report the incident. A police officer came, took all the information and was very excited that I had the full license plate number. I was also able to give an accurate description of the car and a little about the driver. He said that put us way ahead of the game in finding him and coming to a resolution. I would not want to be him; I’m sure his insurance company will not be happy about this. The really sad part is that there’s probably less than $1000 worth of damage to my car; he would definitely have been better off just pulling over and giving me his insurance information. Now who knows what will happen; he might even lose his insurance or the rate will go up at the very least, I’m sure.

So you see, even though I had a bozo hit me and run off, nothing can get me down today. I am just happy to be alive, happy to have a great job, happy to have a great husband and family, and happy to be healthy. Nothing can get me down today! And tomorrow is Friday…how much better can it get?

No comments:

Post a Comment